Five exceptional pieces of writing, four times a year / pumpkin new writing

Pumpkin aims to establish itself as a showcase for the best new writing on the web, while providing valuable support and resources to writers, new and established. Pumpkin will be published quarterly, with each issue featuring five exceptional pieces of new writing.

Each issue will be available online, and a semi-annual anthology will be printed through CompletelyNovel's print-on-demand service.

Pumpkin has moved - please click here to be taken to the new site.


Calypso

by Frances Gapper

His love for Penelope seemed to depend greatly on distance and self-
idealisation. I tried to distance myself when he talked about her. Not
feeling pain is a trick of the mind, just like making somebody fall in
love with you, a minor magic. He praised her skills, while blaming my
laziness; he asked why I just sat around all day. Familiarity made us
strangers to each other, I can see that now.

He expected me to entertain him; it was something women just did. I’d
been alone a long time and maybe lacked conversational skills. He knew
the names of all the plants, despite this island having its own unique
microclimate. He took cuttings. He’d invented a special jar, to
transport them safely back home to Ithaca.

When we made love, I forgot my name, my immortality and hence the need
for caution. He, my friend, once had a similar experience, while
crouched among the giant sheep. Having told the Cyclops he was Nobody,
he then forgot his own name for a while. The gods always make the best
jokes.


Frances Gapper writes very short stories and pretend poems. These have appeared in Wigleaf, Pretext, Brand, other places.